Sunday, August 25, 2013

72. Interrogation from the Police

Okay, it wasn't as dramatic as I made the title sound, but it was somewhat of an interrogation! Talking... quick chat... same thing. But, first things first, an important note to keep in mind is that both my parents are not fluent in English. My dad is alright (more like mumbles with Chinese and English mixed together) and my mom is just... barely passing. Anyways, I went to do a little back to school shopping at the Outlet in the States with my mom (my dad just drove us there and slept during the time we shopped) and on the way back, because of my dad's weak English, he couldn't say what he wanted to say properly so Customs Canada guard got suspicious and had us go inside.

Once inside, we were sat down outside with phones taken away. First, they called my dad in and asked him some questions. I could hear bits and pieces from outside and although his English was broken, they could somewhat understand him (or what I assume). Then, after around three minutes or so, they called me in.

I walk in pretty calmly because I know I have nothing to hide because I didn't do anything wrong. So, the guard lady (woman guard?) asked me to empty out my pockets and pull them out, and I followed her instructions. I asked her if I needed to show her my back pockets as well and she said no (I wanted to make sure). After that she asked for my little bag and I passed it to her to inspect. And of all things, the first things she pulls out is my little pouch where I keep my sanitary supplies. I was wide eyed and whispered "that's where I kept my pads" because right in front of us was a male guard!! Then, she said loudly "Oh, I'm not scared." Inside my head: "Obviously you wouldn't be. But, I'll be embarrassed!! Geez." Whatever. It's not like I'll be seeing them again and if I didn't, they probably wouldn't remember something like that (hopefully). But, basically, she was searching for receipts and when she asked me for the receipt for the new sunglasses I bought, I told her I threw it out. She asked me skeptically "you threw it out?" Well, obviously I would have. It's highly unlikely I'll drive this long way back just to return something that's final sale?! Of course I didn't say that so I just said "Yea". Then she confidently claimed "Well, these must have been at least $100." And I said "No, I remember they were less for that because I had gotten a 30% coupon from the store." And she retorted back saying "But you don't have the receipt to show that." Damn.

Then, she continued to ask my questions and asking me when I arrived. Well, if I wasn't sleeping, I would know. Of course, I just said "I was sleeping so I'm not sure." Then she checked my wallet and counted my money and just asked some really rhetorical questions. I don't even. Like, seriously? This is a waste of both her and my family's time. As well as the tax (which I also pay for like the rest of the hardworking Canadian citizens who expect it to be used accordingly for useful purposes) that goes into paying for the facility, the equipment, and their wage. But I didn't want to get hurt by their 150 pound bodies (no idea, just guessing) so I kept my mouth shut; I value my life and goodness knows what "right" they have that they can pull up to use against me. Anyways, the whole point of this little "interrogation" was to scare me a bit hoping I would reveal something. But alas, I was not scared. Maybe if I was in middle school or early high school and have not been exposed to the real world/working society, then this little scaring trick might have worked. Unfortunately for them, I kept my cool. I have had to break out of my shy shell many times while working, talking to strangers (mostly adults and elders) and of course I have had the chance to talk to those with authority because I have volunteered for the city I used to live in as part of the Youth Council (where we associated with the Mayor of the City, various people working for the Government, which includes the police force). So no lady, you did not scare me. She even tried the old "we can seize your vehicle at anytime, but we won't today. But just know that we can." Inside my head, I was just thinking "who would want our sad, little, old caravan??? What would be the point??? Your superior probably would have been very disappointed."

Either way, it was quite an experience and although more happened, it's mostly just the "nod your head and go with what they say". Oh, and my poor mother with her poor, poor English skills. I was in the room for what felt like more than five minutes (but definitely longer than both my parents because of my English skills and they could probably get more out of me than trying for two hours pulling out their hair with my parents) and my mom was in there for less than two. Truthfully, it was quite funny (my mother that is) and the experience itself is definitely rewarding and one that I'll be able to pass along to my children and their children.

I will do a haul on what I bought sometime soon!